Guy Kelcey Award winner Susan Martinovich, right, with presenter Ben Biller of Burns & McDonnell.
ARTBA Sept. 23 recognized transportation design and construction industry leaders with division awards at the association’s National Convention in Savannah, Ga. The awards, description, and 2019 honorees are:
- Guy Kelcey: The award, which honors Guy Kelcey, one of the Planning & Design (P&D) Division’s organizers, is given each year to an ARTBA member who has exhibited a high degree of service to the association’s P&D Division. Susan Martinovich, national highway market director, Jacobs, Carson City, Nev.
- Nello L. Teer, Jr.: Created in 1988 as a tribute to contractor and Past ARTBA Chairman (1959-61) Nello L. Teer, Jr., this award honors a member who has made outstanding contributions to the association’s Contractors Division and the transportation construction industry. Denise M. Richardson, executive director, General Contractors Association of New York.
- Paul F. Phelan Memorial: Established in 1971, this award is given annually in recognition of outstanding contributions to the ARTBA Materials & Services Division and the transportation construction industry as a whole. Christopher J. Brasco, senior partner, Watt, Tieder, Hoffar & Fitzgerald.
- John “Jake” Landen Memorial Highway Safety Awards (public and private sector): Presented in June, the award was established in 1989 in memory of Traffic Safety Industry Division leader and Past ARTBA Chairman (1976) J.C. Landen to recognize outstanding contributions to highway safety. Jim Pline, retired chief engineer of the Idaho Transportation Department in Boise, and Sue Reiss, national sales manager with Impact Recovery Systems in San Antonio, Texas
- S.S. Steinberg award: Presented earlier this year, this award honors the founding president of the Research and Education Division and recognizes an individual who has made remarkable contributions to transportation education. Dr. Denver Tolliver, director of the Upper Great Plains Transportation Institute at North Dakota State University.