ARTBA recognized transportation design and construction industry leaders September 8 with division awards during the association’s 2014 National Convention in southern California. The association announced the following honorees:
- Nello L. Teer, Jr.: Pete Getchell, PKF-Mark III, in Newtown, Pa. Created in 1988 as a tribute to contractor and Past ARTBA Chairman (1959-61) Nello L. Teer, Jr., it annually honors a contractor member who has made outstanding contributions to the association’s Contractors Division and the transportation construction industry.
- Guy Kelcey: Matt Cummings, senior vice president, AECOM, Philadelphia, Pa. This award, which honors Guy Kelcey, one of the Planning & Design (P&D) Division’s organizers, is given each year to an ARTBA member who has exhibited a high degree of service to the association’s P&D Division.
- Paul F. Phelan Memorial: Wendell Hirschfeld, vice president, business development, Hirschfeld Industries, San Angelo, Texas. Established in 1971, it is given annually in recognition of outstanding contributions to the ARTBA Materials and Services Division and the transportation construction industry.
- John “Jake” Landen Memorial Highway Safety Awards: James R. Keaton, director of business development (retired), Lindsay Transportation Solutions (private sector), Stockton, Calif.; and Priscilla Tobias, state safety engineer, Illinois Department of Transportation (public sector). Established in 1989 in memory of Traffic Safety Industry Division leader and Past ARTBA Chairman (1976) J.C. Landen, this annual award recognizes outstanding contributions to highway safety.
- S.S. Steinberg Award: Dr. Imad L. Al-Qadi, professor of engineering and director of theIllinois Center for Transportation and the Advanced Transportation Research & Engineering Laboratory at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Created in honor of S.S. Steinberg, the founding president of the Research and Education Division, the award recognizes an individual who has made remarkable contributions to transportation education.