The National Freight Advisory Committee (NFAC) met July 15-16 in the Nation’s Capital to discuss the freight provisions included in the transportation bills proposed by the Senate and Obama Administration. The Committee also presented to the U.S. Department of Transportation 81 recommendations for the development of a National Freight Strategic Plan. The NFAC is made up of 47 members from both public and private stakeholders, including past ARTBA Chairman Mike Walton of the University of Texas. Rep. Janice Hahn (D-Calif.) discussed her recently introduced National Freight Network Trust Fund Act of 2014 to establish a National Freight Network Trust Fund, which would collect 5 percent of the import duties collected by Customs and Border Patrol to fund improvements in the freight network. Hahn expressed her support for both the ideas of raising the gas tax and considering a vehicle miles traveled based option to fund the nation’s transportation infrastructure. ARTBA will continue to monitor these important discussions.
- Buttigieg Optimistic on Major Infrastructure InvestmentJanuary 22, 2021
- Biden Acts To Reverse Trump Regulatory PoliciesJanuary 22, 2021
- Biden Orders Workplace COVID-19 Protection ReviewJanuary 22, 2021
- Trottenberg Tapped as U.S. DOT Deputy Secretary; Key Staff for FHWA and Other Agencies NamedJanuary 22, 2021
- State DOTs Get Access to $10 Billion in COVID-19 Relief FundingJanuary 22, 2021